5511 - DRESS AND GROOMING
The Board of Education recognizes that each student's mode of dress and grooming is a manifestation of personal style and individual preference. The Board will not interfere with the right of students and their parents to make decisions regarding their appearance, except when their choices interfere with the educational program of the schools.
The Board authorizes the Superintendent to establish a reasonable dress code in order to promote a safe and healthy school setting and enhance the educational environment. The dress code shall be incorporated into the Student Code of Conduct or Discipline Code.
Accordingly, the Superintendent shall establish such grooming guidelines as are necessary to promote discipline, maintain order, secure the safety of students, and provide a healthy environment conducive to academic purposes. Such guidelines shall prohibit student dress or grooming practices that:
- present a hazard to the health or safety of the student or to others in the school;
- materially interfere with school work, create disorder, or disrupt the educational program;
- cause excessive wear or damage to school property.
Such guidelines shall establish the dress requirements for members of the athletic teams, bands, and other school groups when representing the District at a public event.
The Superintendent shall develop administrative guidelines to implement this policy that:
- designate the principal as the arbiter of student dress and grooming at the building level;
- direct staff to enforce the school’s dress code in a nondiscriminatory and uniform manner.