Reflections: It's All About the Arts
The 2023-2024 Reflections theme:
I am Hopeful Because...
That’s the theme for the 2023-2024 Reflections Art Program which has been bringing the arts to life for more than 10 million students since 1969. And Ohio PTA and its members, families and kids are on the forefront of this amazing program, which increases community awareness of the importance of arts in education.
Reflections encourages students of all ages to:
- Unleash creative talents and be inspired
- Express themselves imaginatively in their artwork
- Experience the fun and joy of making art
- Tap into critical-thinking skills to create art inspired by the annual theme
- Receive positive recognition for their original works of art.
Participation is Easy, Exciting, and Empowering
Students must participate in the National PTA Program through a local PTA/PTSA in good standing. All student entries must adhere to the following guidelines:
- Each entry must be the original work of one student only.
- A student may create their entry inside or outside of school
- A student may submit entries in more than one category.
- Each entry must be accompanied by a completed and signed Student Entry Form
- Student entries must include a title and artist statement that communicates their inspiration for the work and how it relates to this year’s theme.
The Reflections categories include:
- Dance Choreography
- Film Production
- Music Composition
- Visual Arts
The grade divisions include:
- Primary (PreK – Grade 2)
- Intermediate (Grades 3 – 5)
- Middle School (Grades 6-8)
- High School (Grades 9 – 12)
All Reflection entries are submitted first to local PTAs/PTSAs where they are recognized and judged in their grade level divisions. The Special Artist division celebrates all student artists with special needs. PTAs then choose a selection of entries to be judged by local PTA units, which may then be sent on to councils or districts for consideration. The final Reflection entries submitted to Ohio PTA are then judged at the state level and are considered for Award of Excellence (1st), Award of Outstanding Achievement (2nd) and Award of Merit. (3rd). Award of Excellence (1st) entries are then sent on to National PTA to represent Ohio PTA in the final National PTA judging round.
Award of Excellence (1st), Award of Outstanding Achievement (2nd) and Award of Merit (3rd):
- Invitation to the Ohio PTA Reflections Celebration Luncheon
- The opportunity to showcase their artwork at Ohio State PTA Convention Reflections Gallery
- Recognition at the Reflections Celebration Luncheon
National Awards - over 200 participants will receive the following awards from National PTA:
- Merit Award: Bronze Medal; Certificate of Merit; Work featured in the traveling exhibition
- Award of Excellence: $200 Young Artist Scholarship; Silver Medal; Certificate of Excellence; Work featured in the traveling exhibition
- Outstanding Interpretation Award: $800 Young Artist Scholarship; Gold Medal; Certificate of Outstanding Interpretation; Work featured in the traveling exhibition; $200 Prize for Local PTA Unit