The classes of 2023 and beyond have to fulfill three requirements for graduation: credits, competency, and seals.
If you have any questions, please contact your school counselor.
1. Complete Your Credits
Earn a minimum of 21 credits
2. Show Competency
Earn a Passing Score on Ohio's Algebra I and English II End-of-Course (EOC) Exams. Students not passing on the first attempt will be provided additional support and a chance to retake at least once. Testing practice can be found here.
*Proficient Score vs. Competency Score: A score of 700+ is considered proficient. A score of 684-699 is considered competent and is "passing" according to the 2023 Ohio Graduation Requirements.
Testing Not Your Strength? Ohio has options!
Option 1: Demonstrate One of Two Career-Focused Activities and Complete Ohio Means Jobs Seal
- Proficient scores on WebXams (at Polaris)
- Earn 12-Point Industry Credential
Option 2: Enlist in the Military
- Show Evidence You Have Signed a Contract to Enter a Branch of the U.S. Armed Services Upon Graduation
Option 3: Complete College Coursework
- Earn Credit for One College-Level Math and/or College-Level English Course through Ohio's Free College Credit Plus Program
Option 4: Earn a remediation free score on the ACT or SAT
- Remediation free score information can be found here
3. Show Readiness
Earn Two (2) of the Following Diploma Seals. At Least One (1) Must Be "Ohio-Designed".
For more information and for paperwork associated with the seals, see our seals presentation.
Ohio Designed Seals:
- OhioMeansJobs Readiness Seal (Ohio)
- Meet the requirements and criteria established for the readiness seal, including demonstration of work-readiness and professional competencies. Form for verification of OMJ can be found here.
- Industry-Recognized Credential Seal (Ohio)
- Earn a 12-point approved industry-recognized credential or group of credentials totaling 12 points in a single career field in a single year. These are aligned to a job considered in demand.
- College-Ready Seal (Ohio)
- Earn remediation-free scores on the ACT or SAT.
- Military Enlistment Seal (Ohio)
- Provide evidence (official enlistment document Form 4 from the Department of Defense) that a student has enlisted in a branch of the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Citizenship Seal (Ohio)
- Earn a score of proficient or higher on both the American History and American Government end-of-course exams.
- Earn an “A” or “B” in both semesters of American History and American Government (HB 110).
- Earn a score of 2 or better on both the Advanced Placement United States History and Advanced Placement American Government tests.
- Science Seal (Ohio)
- Earn a proficient score on the biology end-of-course exam.
- Earn an “A” or “B” in both semesters of an advanced science course (HB 110). (This includes all 11th and 12th grade courses at BMHS.)
- Earn a score of “2” or higher on ONE Advanced Placement test. Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, or Physics C: Mechanics.
- Earn a letter grade of “B” or higher in any three-credit hour College Credit Plus science course. (BIO121 & 122 at BMHS would count.)
- Honors Diploma Seal (Ohio)
- Earn an honors diploma following requirements set by the state. See more here.
- Seal of Biliteracy (Ohio)
- Meet the requirements and criteria, including proficiency requirements on assessments in English and a world language.
- Technology Seal (Ohio)
- Earn a 2 or higher on the Advanced Placement Computer Principles exam or the Advanced Placement Computer Science A exam.
- Earn a final course grade that is equivalent to a “B” or higher in an appropriate class taken through the College Credit Plus program. (CGSD120 at BMHS would count for this.)
- Community Service Seal (Local)
- Fine and Performing Arts Seal (Local)
- 2 credits of music &/or art courses (are automatically added to the student’s transcript as they complete the course).
- Student Engagement Seal (Local)
- 3 clubs &/or sports (are automatically added to the student’s transcript as they complete them). Clubs must be verified by the advisor and sports must be verified by the BMHS athletic department.
- OhioMeansJobs Readiness Seal (Ohio)