Each year, the District Safety Committee gets together to discuss the district safety plans, safety drills, and any other updates necessary to keep our students and staff safe! In collaboration with our safety services in our three cities, our students have worked with our SROs, nurses, police, fire, and administrators to create new safety videos.
What is RUN, HIDE, FIGHT?
RUN and escape, if possible!
- Getting away from the threat is the top priority.
- Leave your belongings behind and get away.
- Help others escape, if possible, but evacuate regardless of whether others agree to follow.
- Warn and prevent individuals from entering an area where the active shooter may be.
- Call 911 when you are safe, and describe shooter, location, and weapons.
HIDE, if escape is not possible!
- Get out of the shooter’s view and stay very quiet.
- Silence all electronic devices and make sure they won’t vibrate.
- Lock and block doors, close blinds, turn off lights.
- Don’t hide in groups--spread out along walls or hide separately to make it more difficult for the shooter.
- Try to communicate with police silently. Use text messages or social media to tag your location.
- Stay in place until law enforcement gives you the all clear.
- Your hiding place should be out of the shooter’s view and provide protection if shots are fired in your direction.
FIGHT, as an absolute last resort!
- Commit to your actions and act as aggressively as possible against the shooter.
- Recruit others to ambush the shooter with makeshift weapons like chairs, fire extinguishers, scissors, books, etc.
We are committed to ensuring that all students and staff stay safe if there is an emergency in and/or around our schools. Please discuss Run, Hide, Fight with your student(s) and watch the videos below together.
RUN, HIDE, FIGHT poster - this poster is displayed throughout our schools.